Tips before setting up a new website
Before we get to the How to set up a new website section, you need to choose a domain name for it, register it through a domain name registrar, and choose a reliable website hosting service.
Choose a domain name
Your domain name is your website’s address on the web so choose a good one that is:
- Descriptive:Think about the name of your company and the content you’ll put on your site. Think of your present, and future business goals and services. The domain name is one of the first things people notice about a site so it should provide a good idea what your site’s about at a glance. A site about baseball cards should not have a domain like jameslovescatsndogs.com.
- Easy to remember:Keep your domain name short and simple. Less is more because if it’s too long and complicated, it’ll be hard for people to remember. This URL will be on a business cards someday or e-mail signature.
- Adaptable:A domain name is likely be tied to your site for a long time so choose one that will work if your site’s content changes over time. If James eventually plans to include other collectibles, jamescollectibles.com would be a better domain name than jamesonlycollectsbaseballcards.com.
Choose a domain name registrar and web hosting provider
Now you have your perfect domain name picked out, it’s time to choose a domain name registrar to secure it. A hosting provider rents out space on servers to store websites and make them accessible on the web. Many companies offer both domain name registration and hosting services so you can pick your domain name and host your website through one central hub. There are many companies and bundle options available so make sure to research carefully before making your selection. We try our best at Get Ranked 365 to do both under one roof.
Here are some things to consider as you choose a reliable hosting provider:
- Uptime:Uptime is the amount of time your website will be viewable online. Web servers belonging to your hosting provider need to be up and running as much as possible. Any web hosting provider can go down sometimes but you want to find a provider with very little downtime so visitors can almost always see your website. We only personally and professionally use 3 different web hosting companies because of our past experiences.
- Bandwidth:Bandwidth is the amount of date your website can handle. It shows how much data your site can send to the rest of the internet and determines how much traffic your site can support. Some hosting providers limit the bandwidth available to your website while others allow unlimited access. Our web design agency only use unlimited traffic web hosts because we don’t believe in having any limitations for your online business.
- Security:We are web design experts who focus on web security at a top priority. Familiarize yourself with safeguards that the web hosting provider sets in place to protect your business website from external vulnerabilities. Understand if support will be offered when a security issue arises, such as if your site is hacked or infected by malware. Our web design company offers unlimited security updates for your custom website.
- Customer support: If something goes wrong with your site, you’ll want good customer support to resolve any issues quickly. If you don’t have the time to be on hold or don’t want to deal with it. You can always contact us and we will fix it for you. It’s what we do for all of our clients who trust us with maintaining their site.
- Price:Web hosting providers charge a wide range of prices; some are even free. You need to balance how much you’re willing to pay with the services you’ll receive in return. We offer small business owners affordable web hosting options that match your website’s needs.
- Ease of use:Make sure the user platform is intuitive and easy to use for your needs. If you’re creating a site yourself, is it easy to get started or do you need to have advanced setup knowledge? If you aren’t sure this is something you want to handle, you can let us take care of it all.
There are also FREE ways to create a website. FREE website providers, such as Blogger and Google Sites, provide domain names and hosting for FREE. If you have a small business in the U.S., you can visit Get Your Business Online to register a free website for one year. Keep in mind that free website providers sometimes offer webmasters less control over their site. You will need to decide which option is best for your type of website. These sites can sometimes come off looking like an old MySpace page.
Once you have a domain name and a hosting provider, there may be additional technical steps to link your domain name with your hosting service. You can usually get help from your web hosting provider. After you’ve linked your domain name and your web hosting service, you’re all set to start creating your website! And we are ready to start for you if you need us. Contact us today for a free consultation, and we don’t ask you for your credit card information like other “free website offers”.
Quote of the day:
“You get what you pay for…”